The board consists of professionals and parent volunteers appointed by the pastor, the school principal, and the Board Chair. Generally, each member can serve up to three consecutive three-year terms. The title and authority of this board, as dictated by the Diocese of Trenton’s Board of Education under Canon Law, are to act in an advisory capacity to the pastor and the school principal. The board participates in the formulation of policies upon request, which must be approved by the pastor for implementation by the principal. The School Board focuses on the areas of finance, facilities, marketing, strategic planning, and development.
The members of the board are:
- Jack McKenna, Principal
- John (Jack) McKenna has served as principal of Saint Ann School since 1997. He has 25 years of classroom experience in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and has served as principal of Saint Ann School for over 20 years. His proudest moment of his years as principal would be the 2010 recognition from the US Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. As principal, “my objective is to create a school environment that reinforces the best values and traditions of Catholic education while also providing the most progressive, dynamic educational environment for the 21st century learner.” Mr. McKenna, his son, and wife, Marge, also a Catholic school teacher, live in Newtown, PA and are members of the Church of Saint Andrew in Newtown.
- Kenneth Bernabe, Chair, Buildings and Grounds
- Ken Bernabe has served the past eleven years on the school board for Saint Ann School, all as its chairperson. He is a retired New Jersey Public School Principal having served 36 years at the elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. He also is a member of the adjunct faculty at Holy Family University in Northeast Philadelphia where he teaches graduate school courses for educators who desire to become certified administrators in schools. During the past years, Saint Ann School has increased its enrollment in Pre-K to Grade 8, secured Blue Ribbon recognition, improved facilities, and provided for advancements of technology both in the classroom and schoolwide, maintained small class sizes, recruited and retained a quality professional and support staff, as well as developing and maintaining a progressive balanced school budget. A strong proponent of small class sizes, especially in the Early Childhood grades, Ken and his wife Ellen have been residents of Lawrenceville for the past 25 years where they raised their two children.
- Laura Nawrocik, Technology
- A SAS board member since 2013, Ms. Nawrocik is a lifelong resident of Lawrence Township and parishioner of the Church of Saint Ann. She is a 1987 graduate of Saint Ann School. She received a BA degree in political Science from Trenton State College, a BA degree in economics from Rider University, an MA degree in English from The College of New Jersey and a Master of Library and Information Science degree from Rutgers University. Employed by the Mercer County Library System since 1991, she is currently a senior librarian working in the information technology department as the Information Systems Manager. In this capacity, she is responsible for overseeing the technology hardware for nine library branches, teaching public computer classes, budgeting for system-wide technology purchases, training staff, and maintaining online services for patrons. Ms. Nawrocik also works as an ice hockey official at Princeton University and is the president of Lawrence Historical Society. In addition to serving on the SAS board, she is also a member of the SAS technology committee and has served on the parish library and technology committees.
- Nancy Podezwa, Vice Chair, Marketing
- Nancy Podeszwa, a resident of Ewing Township, joined the Saint Ann School Board in July 2012, serving as Co-Chair of the Marketing Committee. Since April 2014, Nancy has also taken on the responsibilities of Vice Chair of the School Board. She has been a member of St. James Parish in Pennington for more than 20 years, where her ministries include lector and women’s Cornerstone. She has a BA from Rider College (now University) and has been the Grant Proposal Writer for the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) of Mercer County since Nov. 2002. Nancy has been married to John for over 40 years, and they have 2 sons, Tim and Jeff. Tim attended St. Paul’s elementary school, Notre Dame High School (NDHS) and Marymount Manhattan College. He is married and has one son, Gavin. Jeff attended SAS pre-4 through 8, NDHS, and James Madison University.
Linda McDermott, Member
Sheila McDonald, Member
Marinus Stephan, Member